Texas woman dies from flesh-eating bacteria after eating raw oysters

A Texas woman died after consuming raw oysters and contracting a flesh-eating bacteria.

Jeannette LeBlanc ate the raw oysters while on a trip to Louisiana with friends and family in September, reports news station KLFY-TV. LeBlanc developed a rash and had trouble breathing over the next 36 hours, according to the news station.

FLESH-EATING BACTERIA: Galveston man second jt odie from flesh-eating bacteria in Harvey aftermath 

LeBlanc spent 21 days in the hospital fighting the infection, caused by vibriosis. She died on Oct. 21, reports KLFY-TV. Wife Vicki Bergquist told the news station that LeBlanc had “a rash on her legs and everything.”

Vibriosis is often transmitted to people by eating raw or undercooked shellfish like oysters, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The agency estimates vibriosis causes 80,000 illnesses each year in America and about 52,000 of the illnesses come from eating contaminated food.

About one in four people usually die of vibrosis, according to the CDC.

Scroll through the gallery above to learn more about vibrosis. 

Will Axford is a digital reporter for Chron.com. Read more of his stories here and follow him on Twitter.